Each week, students are required to bring ingredients to practical lessons. At the start of the Food Technology rotation, students will be given a list of ingredients and dates for cooking will be recorded in their Firefly diary. A copy of the ingredients lists can be found on Firefly.
- Basic Cooking Skills
- Kitchen safety
- Knife skills
- Heat transference
- Using the oven, hob, grill and microwave safely
- The Eatwell Guide
- Macronutrients (protein, fat, sugar, carbohydrates, dairy)
- Basic food hygiene and the functional properties of food.
- Temperature control systems
- The safe cooking and storage of food products
- How to plan and prepare a balanced diet.
- The function of micronutrients
- Seasonal availability
- Sensory analysis
- Ages and stages of life
- Food Science
- The functional properties of foods including:
- Providing bulk