Y10 Product Design GCSE
This new Product Design GCSE will be based around designing and manufacturing quality products that are both interesting and relevant. Pupils will begin by designing their own logo which will then be printed onto their own personal apron. They will be given extensive training on both 2D and 3D CAD packages and the laser cutter.
- In preparation for the controlled assessments, pupils will investigate the work of Jonathan Ive and Verner Panton focusing on their design themes and concepts.
- Pupils will: design a personal logo and print it on their own D&T safety apron; design and manufacture a Christmas card utilising the laser cutter; learn how to use and model ideas using 3D CAD and design and manufacture a free gift for a company of their choice.
The controlled assessments start at the beginning of Year 11. Pupils will be tested throughout a project on the skills which they have acquired. These will include:
- the critical investigation of existing products
- production of innovative ideas; knowledge about appropriate materials and adhesives
- use of both 2D and 3D CAD planning for manufacture
- manufacturing techniques and skills and the evaluation of their work
The Current ‘Design Brief’ for the controlled assessment relates to a concept model for a hand-held or portable electronic device.