Science

The examination board for all Science GCSE is AQA. These courses form an essential part of the core subjects of the National Curriculum They lead to two GCSE awards in Science. Most pupils will study for the AQA Core Science GCSE in Year 10 and the AQA Additional Science in Year 11. Pupils opting to take Triple Science will not obtain the Core Science GCSE in Year 10 and additional Science in Year 11 like the majority of their year group. Instead, they will be awarded three separate GCSE examinations in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Key Stage 4
GCSE Science A

Most Pupils in Year 10 will study for the Science A GCSE.
Assessment consists of three examinations:

  • Biology 1 (1 hour).
  • Chemistry 1 (1 hour)
  • Physics 1 (1 hour)

All three examinations take place in the May of Year 10 and account for 75% of the GCSE award. The remaining 25% comes from the best Investigative Skills Assessment (ISA) completed during the year.

GCSE Additional Science

Most Pupils in Year 11 will study for the Additional Science GCSE.
Assessment consists of three examinations:

  • Biology 2 (1 hour).
  • Chemistry 2 (1 hour)
  • Physics 2 (1 hour)

All three examinations take place in the June of Year 11 and account for 75% of the GCSE award. The remaining 25% comes from the best Investigative Skills Assessment (ISA) completed during the year.


Triple Science

More able pupils have the option to take Triple Science. Instead of the above two GCSE courses, pupils would be awarded separate GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
In addition to the above examinations, triple Science pupils have 3 additional examinations:

  • Biology 3 (1 hour).
  • Chemistry 3 (1 hour)
  • Physics 3 (1 hour)

Pupils will also be required to produce an ISA in each of the three Sciences.

DODDLE

In Science, all pupils are expected to access the 'Doddle' online resource, that will be used by Science staff when setting some homeworks. Please follow this link to Doddle